It is important that all Wisconsin citizens have access to information on housing. The University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension provides resources on the topics of renting and home ownership.
Rent Smart is designed to help those individuals who have little to no rental experience and those who have had difficulty obtaining rental housing. Participants may be first time renters as they graduate from school, homeowners transitioning to renting, individuals with poor rental or credit history, or individuals who have other issues that may cause potential landlords to perceive them as high-risk tenants. Rent Smart provides practical education to help people looking for rental housing find, get, and keep suitable housing. The program focuses on the knowledge and skills essential for a successful renting experience. It challenges participants to know and understand their rights and responsibilities as a tenant, as well as know and understand the rights and responsibilities of their landlord. Emphasis is on forming a strong partnership between the tenant and landlord. Establishing a positive rental history is much like having a positive credit report and Rent Smart starts participants on the right path for success.
Upcoming VIRTUAL Class Dates & Times:
- November: 5, 12, 19 @ 9:00AM-11:30AM
- January: 10, 12, 17, 19, 24, 26 @ 1:00PM-2:00PM (Tue/Thurs)
- February: 7, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24 @ 9:00am-10:00AM (Tue/Fri)
- March: 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, 29 @7:00PM-8:00pm (Mon/Wed)
- April: 10, 13,17, 20, 24, 27 @ 1:00PM-2:00PM (Mon/Thurs)
- May: 6, 13, 20 @ 9:00AM-11:30AM (Saturday)
- June: 13, 16, 20, 23, 27, 30 @ 9:00AM-10:00AM (Tue/Fri)
Download/Print our Rent Smart Winter/Spring 2023 flyer.
Location: Live, online instruction via Zoom; Zoom links sent after completing registration.
Online Registration form: https://go.wisc.edu/Rentsmartregister
What you will learn:
- Planning for and meeting monthly expenses
- Tips for finding and maintaining affordable housing
- How to complete an application and why landlords screen applicants
- Strategies for building positive relationships with landlords and neighbors
- Responsibilities and rights of landlords and tenants
- Participants must complete all 6 modules to earn the Rent Smart certificate
- For more information, please contact email@example.com (920-232-1982) OR