What are projects?
A 4-H project is an area that you want to learn more about during the 4-H year (similar to a hobby). This is what you sign-up for during enrollment in 4HOnline. There are projects on just about any topic, from art to woodworking, from computers to rabbits, from sewing to small engines. After you sign-up for your project(s), you will explore, study, and learn skills related to your project by using 4-H curriculum, attending project training, or participating in project events like 4-H Fun Day.
Another tool to help you with your project learning is the 4-H Record Book which helps you set goals for your project and reflect on your overall project experience at the end of the year.
In August you also have the opportunity to take work from your project(s) to the Winnebago County Fair to show off what you have learned throughout the year. What you TAKE to the fair is an “exhibit” (i.e. Art is your PROJECT; the picture you painted or clay pot you made are your EXHIBITS). You do not need to exhibit everything you did in your project(s) but are encouraged to pick some of your best accomplishments!
Educational and Project Committees
Winnebago County 4-H volunteers form various educational and/or project committees to help provide opportunities for youth to learn and grow in areas of their project choices and leadership skills.
4-H projects in Winnebago County
- Project List
- Project Guide
- Fair Department Alignment to 4H Projects
- Club Project Training: Check with your 4-H Club to see if there are leaders for your specific project area.
- County-wide Project Training: Winnebago County 4-H has several committees/volunteers that provide countywide project learning. These groups plan and conduct county-level educational events, activities, and meetings.
- Check out some of the Project Work & Activities our 4-H members participated in during 2019-2020.
County-wide Project Training
Dog Obedience Training
Winnebago County 4-H Leaders offer Dog Obedience, Showmanship, Rally and Agility Training annually.
2022 Dog Training Information:
- Dog Project Letter
- Rules & Policies
- Registration Form (PDF) OR Registration Form (Word)
- Dog Training Handbook
- By-Laws 2022
Horse & Pony Project
The purpose of the Winnebago County 4-H Horse and Pony Project shall be to provide education in horse project areas, to promote 4-H activities and provide fellowship to its members. The Horse & Pony Project is led by a Board of Directors who are elected annually and consist of adult and youth 4-H Leaders.
- 2021-2022 Horse & Pony Project Handbook
- Board By-laws (last updated 2016)
- Horse & Pony Project Moolah Report (pdf)
- Horse & Pony Project Moolah Report (word doc)
- Current Project, Meeting & Activity information is available on Facebook:
Follow us on Facebook!
Winnebago County 4-H Horse & Pony Project
4-H Fun Day
The mission of 4-H Fun Day is to promote all of the opportunities 4-H has to offer, provide experiences to try new projects, and offer the chance for adult and teen leaders to share their knowledge. You are welcome to join us for a morning of fun hands-on learning! 4-H Fun Day is brought to you by the Winnebago County 4-H Ambassadors (youth & adult volunteers who work together to promote 4-H) and Extension Winnebago County.
Just starting out in Photography or looking for some tips & tricks to make your photos even better? Check out these resources provided by Winnebago County 4-H Leader Kim Hoffman. These fundamental photography tips can help you take your photographs to the next level.
- Photography tip sheets – Camera settings
- Photography tip sheets – Rule of Thirds
- Photography tip sheets – Portraits
- Photography tip sheets – Point of View
- Photography tip sheets – Leading lines
- Tips for showing at the County Fair
- Photography Resources
4-H Project Resources
- 4-H Project Sheets and Resource Links
- Project Curriculum/Literature is available for almost every 4-H Project! These materials can be:
- Purchased from the National Shop 4-H Store
- Checked-out from the Winnebago County Extension Office “Library” (see “Shop 4-H” for a full catalog of resources available)
- State/National 4-H Project Resources:
- 4-H At Home!
Inspiring kids and teens to learn, grow, and charge ahead in their lives through critical learning resources accessible to all kids. With COVID-19 disrupting learning for 55 million young people, 4-H has stepped up to bring the traditional 4-H experience inside the home.
- Explore the National 4-H At Home Website to receive hundreds of educational activities for kids in topics like STEM, healthy living, and crafting, including step-by-step videos, activity guides, and more.
- Visit the Wisconsin 4-H At Home Website for resources that were chosen with busy parents, caregivers, and families in mind. We know there’s a lot coming at you all at once, so we took some time to go through a lot of possible activities, resources, and information. We only listed the ones we think are the best, in the current situation.